Tuesday 17 July 2012

Hump Day!!!!

Yesterday marked the midway point of my first round of the 12WBT (Michelle Bridge’s 12 Week Body Transformation) and it has been an amazing 6 weeks so far.  I have learnt some amazing lessons, some serious home truths and seen some amazing results and changes in both myself and my wife, who is partnering me in this journey.
If you have been reading this blog it has not all been rosy, but I am over the moon to say that the positives far outweigh any negatives for me so far.  I have read numerous posts on the 12WBT forums and in blogs of people falling off wagons and rails (choose whichever saying you wish) and how they are struggling with motivation to train, eat right and stay on track.  This I struggle to accept, but that is me and my situation is obviously a lot different.  I feel like saying JFDI (Just F@*King Do It) but each person must travel their own path and tackle their journey in their own manor.  I have had moments where I have felt flat or tired and wanted a beer, chips and/or pizza, but that soon disappeared when I remember why I am doing this and who I am doing it for.  This is for me to teach my kids that you do have the ability to change things in your life and you DO control your destiny.  If you want to do something badly enough make it happen.  The effort you put in and the pain you go through is far better than the pain you suffer sitting on the couch as a fat person whilst life passes you by. Why did I only realise this now and not 20 years ago????
That last statement sounds a bit rich considering I am still classified as obese and to be honest I know I am, but there are times when I now feel like a skinny person trapped in a fat man’s body.  This may sound ridiculous, but the changes to my fitness level and my mindset have me walking taller, feeling better about myself and also wanting to get out and do things (run, ride my bike, go to the gym) where previously I would have done anything other than any of those things.  None of this is possible without having a program to follow that you have confidence in that works.  For this I can’t thank Michelle Bridges enough.  Yes it is up to me to do the work and ensure the training and diet are spot on, but without the lessons learned from her, I would be in the same spot I was 7 weeks ago.
Whilst I have passed milestones that I dreamed beyond me in the last 6 weeks (3km run week 3, 5km and 7km run week 4, 15kgs lost so far, more positive outlook, etc) I think the biggest thing for me has been the response from colleagues and friends that have resonated with me.  I have never been one to worry about what others have thought, so I thought, until I watched Michelle’s video today and listened to SanSue and what she said about the exact same thing.  It dawned on me that in the past I was in fact worried, I just put walls up to block it out.  The last few weeks with people noticing the weight fall off me and asking how I have done it and how good I look has been a huge boost to my confidence.  One staff member wanted to comment but was unsure how to do so, she said “Not that I am checking you out, but I have noticed how much weight you have lost and you look fantastic, what are you doing?”  My response was a little predictable if you know me well, “Yes you were, you are only human!!”  Thankfully she saw the funny side of this and was then very interested to hear about the program and how I was managing to lose so much weight.  Yesterday at my son’s football match, 2 of the mothers commented on how good I was looking and how much weight I had lost, which was also nice to hear. 

Little comments like this from numerous people all add up to let you know that what you are doing is noticeable to more people than just yourself.  If I am getting this sort of response after 6 weeks, I can only imagine what sort of response I will get or how well I will be feeling after another 6 weeks.  I set myself a goal of 15kgs for the 12 weeks.  I have reached that now at the half way mark, so the sky is the limit for the next 6 weeks. I will be working my backside off to try and reach a massive goal of 30kgs by the end of the round.  It is going to be a huge challenge, but one that I am willing to have a crack at and hopefully it will be attainable.

Watch this space……

1 comment:

  1. Do I need to get a big stick to keep all these women & their compliments away?

    ReplyDelete