Monday 20 August 2012

12 Weeks into My New LIfe

Now 12 weeks into this phase of my new life and to look back over this period is really mind blowing.  Besides the fact that I am now 15% lighter, there are so many more positive things that have happened as a result of this journey.  Obviously the weight loss is the most noticeable and the part that everyone comments on, but for me there are so many other differences which others can’t see which are more important.  Without these changes all taking place the weight loss would never have happened.
One of the biggest things Michelle Bridges talks about either in her videos or in her forum posts is about mindset.   If you struggle with getting this right you will always be fighting a tough battle.  Not a losing battle, just making it a lot tougher for yourself and it will also mean you have extra battles along the way.   Who would have thought losing weight was a mind game?  Well from what I have experienced it is ALL a mind game.  Get your head around what you need to do and banish the old demons and this will be a lot easier than you thought.  Of course, we are all in this position battling weight because we have some mental issues that have prevented us from being otherwise.  Mine was not necessarily food, more laziness and how to get out of that funk.  Add to that the fact that I ate to much, even when it was good food as well as the alcohol I consumed and we have a recipe for disaster.  This 12WBT program could not have happened at a better time for me.  With the support of my wife and some hidden desire to achieve, I have jumped into this with both feet and wanted to learn and improve.  So what have I learnt over this 12 weeks?

I have learnt that:

I needed to make drastic changes in my life to ensure I was going to be around to see my 4 kids grow up and I was not in a healthy position at present.
I was not eating bad food but I was eating far too much food each meal and also a lot of packaged and processed food.  These were high carbs and also high GI foods.
I was making far too many excuses about a lot of facets of my life, including reasons for losing weight and doing exercise.
I was a pretty average dad and husband because of my weight and allowing it to hold me back
I was not happy with myself or life because of who I had allowed myself to become


What are the positive things I have learnt in the last 12 weeks:
I have found a love for exercise and do so 6-7 times a week.
I don’t make excuses for not doing exercise now and feel guilty if I have not done it.  Sometimes I even double up on days to cover missed sessions.
I am learning to run again and have proven to myself that it can be done
I now know that the mind doesn’t necessarily control what you do, it makes suggestions as to when you should stop, but the body pushes through the pain if you allow it to.
Healthy food does taste GREAT, just look at the wonderful recipes we have on this program.  YUM Penang Chicken!!!!
Portion control is key as is calorie counting.
Don’t compare your journey to anyone else. You don’t know their circumstances, their physical makeup and it doesn’t help you get to where you need to be.
You control your own destiny, make the choices which are right for you and don’t have any regrets.

All of the above show that in this round it has been mostly a positive experience for me.  I have worked my backside off for the last 11 weeks, lost a heap of weight, dropped 3 pants sizes, look a million bucks compared to where I started from, but most importantly I have found myself again.  Whilst I have never been one to outwardly lack confidence, being an overweight man in this world is always a weary prospect.  People will look at you differently, you wonder what they are thinking and if they are making comments, but I don’t care anymore.  I look at fat people out walking and running and now I say to myself “good on you” and wonder if they are also on the 12WBT.  I hope they are as it means there is more chance for them to succeed and they have the most amazing support from Michelle, her crew and the whole 12WBT family in the forums.


I read in interesting quote this morning which used to be me, but not anymore “Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit” and this is true, but I also read one that is more about me now,  “If your mind can CONCIEVE it, and your heart can BELIEVE it, then you can ACHIEVE it”
I have conceived it, I do believe it and now I am ACHIEVING it.  Bring on the next round and a double digit weight.

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring post - can't wait for the next round to begin :)

    ReplyDelete