Tuesday 30 April 2013

Come Along for the Ride……

Nearing the end of this current round and there are lot of people looking back to see what they have achieved.  It is great reading what people have managed to do when previously it was deemed not possible.  Some are athletic achievements, some are beating the demons of the minds that have always held us back, some giving up the grog or diet drinks, which are all awesome efforts, but mine is a little different.  I have already mentioned on a number of occasions about my half marathon and how big of a personal achievement this was for me both physically and mentally and yes it is a huge achievement for anyone, but looking back at what has happened to me in the last 11 weeks, this is not my biggest achievement and it only dawned on me this morning why.
I have mentioned previously how I am doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer this October to raise money for Peter MacCallum Institute in Melbourne.  I did this last year and raised $6440 for this amazing hospital that treats my father in law currently for his cancer.  It was the least I could do for such an inspiring person in my life.  Julie also did the ride to support the hospital that is treating her father and to give back.  She raised $3500 herself.  The team we were part of (6 of us) raised $27K.  We decided that we were going to do it again, but this year I wanted to up the ante.  What could I do to make it better and raise more money?  Then I saw a post on the Conquer Cancer facebook page about a group called Vision Crusaders, that was undertaking an amazing journey to ride all 6 of the rides in Australia and New Zealand in 2013.  I knew I had to do this.  With some gentle encouragement from a friend (now fellow rider) and a lot of support and encouragement from my always supportive wife, I emailed the team captain to get some more info.

I am now a proud member of the Vision Crusaders Grand Slam team along with 26 others.  We have a dream.  To raise $15K each and take part in the 6 rides this year.  In order to do this we need to raise a total of $405K just for the rides.  We then need to find sponsors for accommodation and flights at the 5 rides that are not our home rides.  This is no small feat and one where will need as many corporate sponsors as possible.



If you can assist us in any way, please hop onto our facebook page and like the page, share the link and even pass on to your friends, family and colleagues.  If you are able to sponsor me even better.  We have some grand plans, hoping that we might have a celebrity ro two riding on some of our rides.  But most importantly we are simply trying to get the word out there about what we are trying to do and why.  Simply because we hate cancer and want to do our bit to get a cure.

I would like to say that without 2 things changing in my life this would not have been considered or possible.  Sadly the first is my father in law being diagnosed with cancer.  Of course without that happening I would not have taken up the challenge initially.  Secondly without doing the 12WBT I doubt I would ever have found the inner confidence and strength that has always been inside me.  Michelle and her admin team have managed to give me the tools that have given me the ability to learn to back myself, try things outside my comfort zone and push the boundaries.  Now there are no boundaries and I am riding to conquer cancer.  This is my biggest achievement this round.
Come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment